The Health and Well-being Area of Learning and Experience is about the physical, psychological, emotional and social aspects of our lives. It recognises good health and well-being as a key enabler of successful learning. This area of learning and experience will support learners to develop and maintain not only their physical health and well-being, but also their mental health and emotional well-being, as well as developing positive relationships in a range of contexts. To enable this, it will build learners’ capacity to make informed decisions about their health and wellbeing and also to engage critically with a range of social influences which may impact on their values and behaviours. This area of learning and experience supports learners to develop an understanding and appreciation of how these aspects are interconnected, and how they can all contribute to a positive state of well-being. This understanding in turn will enable learners to develop the behaviours, habits and dispositions which will support their health and well-being in a rapidly changing world. Physical activity as well as opportunities to develop relationships will provide learners with contexts for playing a range of collaborative roles. From this, the development of social and team-working skills will enable them to become ambitious, capable learners, ready to learn throughout their lives. They will learn how to become ethical, informed citizens of Wales and the World through a range of experiences, including opportunities to:
• make positive choices, and to learn how these affect their own and others’ health and well-being
• interact with others within different social situations
• engage with different social influences and to appreciate the importance of respecting others
• consider the social and ethical issues that impact on the health and well-being of others.
They will also develop skills and dispositions that enable them to become healthy, confident individuals, ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society, by learning:
• what influences their health and well-being, including a healthy diet, physical activity and misuse of substances
• how to make decisions which support their health and well-being
• the importance of resilience and self-regulation
• how to seek support
• how to develop safe and healthy relationships.